Clinical Laboratory Medicine
Laboratory Medicine play an important role in current Evidence Based clinical Medicine. The research in the Department of Laboratory Medicine by medical doctors and medical technologists is focused on the study of clinical markers for various disorders, including endocrinological and metabolic disorders, cardiovascular diseases, immunological disorders, infectious diseases, and malignancy.
|Professor||Masami MURAKAMI, M.D.,Ph.D.|
|Associate Professor||Takao KIMURA, M.D.,Ph.D.|
Research & Education
1) Clinical significance of antipituitary antibodies
2) Study on the mechanism of thyroid hormone activation
3) Study on the clinical marker of atherosclerosis
4) Study on the genetic and molecular analysis
5) The role of active oxygen and free radicals
6) Study on the mechanism of drug resistance of bacteria
7) Clinicocytological research on early detection of lung cancer and education of specialist of clinical cytology
8) Clinicocytological study on borderline malignancy and pseudomalignant tumor
On lectures in the faculty of medicine, we give an outline of the principles of laboratory tests, clarify the role of laboratory medicine in medical treatment and introduce how laboratory tests is performed, and then explain how to make an appropriate choice for laboratory tests, how to interpret the data and important notices for getting exact data, presenting cases. In the course of health science, we give clinical practices in the laboratory of Gunma University Hospital and try to improve students’ testing techniques. In the postgraduate course, lectures are focused on measurement of microsubstance in vivo, biochemical tests, measurement of antibodies, genetic tests and Clinicocytology. In seminars, you read literatures and papers concerning these subjects and we guide you in research procedure. In practices, we explain the principles of experimental methods and we coach you in techniques. We also teach you to analyze and evaluate the data, and then we guide you in writing a paper.
Laboratory tests are used for the detection, diagnosis and follow up of the various disorders. Automated laboratory testing is performed using the automated sample transporting systems. It is necessary to perform quality controls to obtain precise and accurate results. Naturally carrying out internal quality controls, we actively practice external quality control survey in Gunma Prefecture. We participate in the hospital infection control program through the laboratory tests for bacterial and viral infection. Pathological diagnosis of surgical specimen and cytopathological diagnosis are performed.
1. Ogiwara T, Kimura T, Tokue Y, Watanabe R, Nara M, Obuchi T, Yaegashi A, Yomoda S, Ohshima K, Mrakami M.
Tuberculosis Screening Using a T-Cell Interferon-γ Release Assay in Japanese Medical Students and Non-Japanese International Students. Tohoku J. Exp. Med.230:87-91,2013
2. Machida T, Shizuka R, Yabe S, Kobayashi Y, Yomoda S, Sawamura M, Murakami M.
Identification of amylase binding monoclonal immunoglobulins in multiple myeloma associated with macroamylasemia. Leuk Lymphoma 53:2293-2295, 2012
3. Nakajima K, Nakano T, Tokita Y, Nagamine T, Yatsuzuka SI, Shimomura Y, Tanaka A, Sumino H, Nara M, Machida T, Murakami M.
The characteristics of remnant lipoproteins in the fasting and postprandial plasma. Clin Chim Acta 413:1077-1086, 2012
4. Miida T, Nishimura K, Okamura T, Hirayama S, Ohmura H, Yoshida H, Miyashita Y, Ai M, Tanaka A, Sumino H, Murakami M, Inoue I, Kayamori Y, Nakamura M, Nobori T, Miyazawa Y, Teramoto T, Yokoyama S.
A multicenter study on the precision and accuracy of homogeneous assays for LDL-cholesterol: comparison with a beta-quantification method using fresh serum obtained from non-diseased and diseased subjects. Atherosclerosis 225:208-215, 2012
5. Sawano E, Negishi T, Aoki T, Murakami M, Tashiro T.
Alterations in local thyroid hormone signaling in the hippocampus of the senescence-accelerated mouse prone 8 (SAMP8) at younger ages: association with delayed myelination and behavioral abnormalities. J Neurosci Res 91:382-392, 2012
6. Tsunekawa K, Yanagawa Y, Aoki T, Morimura T, Araki O, Ogiwara T, Kawai Y, Mitani Y, Lezhava A, Yanagawa M, Hayashizaki Y, Murakami M
Association between accumulation of visceral fat and the combination of β3 adrenergic receptor Trp64Arg, β2 adrenergic receptor Arg16Gly and uncoupling protein 1 -3826A>G polymorphisms detected by Smart Amplification Process 2.
Endocr J, 58(12):1079-86,2011.
7. Yanagawa Y, Morimura T, Tsunekawa K, Seki K, Ogiwara T, Kotajima N, Machida T, Matsumoto S, Adachi T, Murakami M.
Oxidative stress associated with rapid weight reduction decreases circulating adiponectin concentrations.
Endocr J. 2010;57(4):339-45.
8. Kimura T, Tomura H, Sato K, Ito M, Matsuoka I, Im DS, Kuwabara A, Mogi C, Itoh H, Kurose H, Murakami M, Okajima F.
Mechanism and role of high density lipoprotein-induced activation of AMP-activated protein kinase in endothelial cells.
J Biol Chem. 2010 Feb 12;285(7):4387-97.
9. Kimura T, Tomura H, Sato K, Ito M, Matsuoka I, Im DS, Kuwabara A, Mogi C, Itoh H, Kurose H, Murakami M, Okajima F:
Mechanism and role of high-density lipoprotein-induced activation of AMP-activated protein kinase in endothelial cells.J Biol Chem,in print ,2009.
10. Mitani Y, Lezhava A, Kawai Y, Kikuchi T, Oguchi-Katayama A, Kogo Y, Itoh M, Miyagi T, Takakura H, Hoshi K, Kato C, Arakawa T, Shibata K, Fukui K, Masui R, Kuramitsu S, Kiyotani K, Chalk A, Tsunekawa K, Murakami M, Kamataki T, Oka T, Shimada H, Cizdziel PE, Hayashizaki Y.
Rapid SNP diagnostics using asymmetric isothermal amplification and a new mismatch-suppression technology.
Nat Methods 4 : 257-262, 2007.
11. Kanou Y, Hishinuma A, Tsunekawa K, Seki K, Mizuno Y, Fujisawa H, Imai T, Miura Y, Nagasaka T, Yamada C, Ieiri T, Murakami M, Murata Y.
Thyroglobulin gene mutations producing defective intracellular transport of thyroglobulin are associated with increased thyroidal type 2 iodothyronine deiodinase activity.
J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 92: 1451-1457, 2007.
12. Tsunekawa K, Onigata K, Morimura T, Kasahara K, Nishiyama S, Kamoda T, Mori M, Morikawa A, Murakami M.
Identification and functional analysis of novel inactivating thyrotropin receptor mutations in patients with thyrotropin resistance.
Thyorid 16 : 471-479, 2006.
13. Kasahara T, Tsunekawa K, Seki K, Mori M, Murakami M.
Regulation of iodothyronine deiodinase and roles of thyroid hormones in human coronary artery smooth muscle cells.
Atherosclerosis 186 : 207-214, 2006.
14. Kimura T, Tomura H, Mogi C, Kuwabara A, Damirin A, Ishizuka T, Sekiguchi A, Ishiwara M, Im DS, Sato K, Murakami M, Okajima F.
Role of scavenger receptor class B type I and sphingosine 1-phosphate receptors in high-density lipoprotein-induced inhibition of adhesion molecule expression in endothelial cells.
J Biol Chem 281:37457-37467, 2006.
15. Kimura T, Tomura H, Mogi C, Kuwabara A, Ishiwara M, Shibasawa K, Sato K, Ohwada S, Im DS, Kurose H, Ishizuka T, Murakami M, Okajima F.
Sphingosine 1-phosphate receptors mediate stimulatory and inhibitory signalings for expression of adhesion molecules in endothelial cells.
Cell Signal 18:841-850, 2006.
16. Kondo T, Kobayashi K, Murakami M.
Effect of exercise on circulating adipokine levels in obese young women.
Endocrine J 53:189-95, 2006
17. Morimura T, Tsunekawa K, Kasahara T, Seki K, Ogiwara T, Mori M, Murakami M.
Expression of type 2 iodothyronine deiodinase in human osteoblast is stimulated by thyrotropin.
Endocrinology. 146: 2077-2084, 2005
18. Nakahara R, Tsunekawa K, Yabe S, Nara M, Seki K, Kasahara T, Ogiwara T, Nishino M, Kobayashi I, Murakami M.
Association of antipituitary antibody and type 2 iodothyronine deiodincorticotropinase antibody in patients with autoimmune thyroid disease.
Endocrine J. 52: 691-699, 2005
19. Araki O, Morimura T, Ogiwara T, Mizuma H, Mori M, Murakami M.
Expression of type 2 iodothyronine deiodinase in corticotropin-secreting mouse pituitary tumor cells is stimulated by glucocorticoid and -releasing hormone.
Endocrinology. 144: 4459-4465, 2003
20. Yomoda S, Okubo T, Takahashi A, Murakami M, Iyobe S.
Presence of Pseudomonas putida strains harboring plasmids bearing the metallo-beta-lactamase gene bla (IMP) in a hospital in Japan.
J Clin Microbiol. 41: 4246-4251, 2003
21. Tamama K, Sumino H, Ichikawa S, Kanda T, Kotajima N, Fukumura Y, Kurabayashi M, Murakami M.
Hormone replacement therapy causes a decrease in hepatocyte growth factor in
J Hypertens. 21: 1151-1156, 2003
22. Kimura T, Sato K, Malchinkhuu E, Tomura H, Tamama T, Kuwabara A, Murakami M, Okajima F.
High-density lipoprotein stimulates endothelial cell migration and survival through sphingosine 1-phosphate and its receptors.
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 23:1283-1288, 2003.
Jul,1973 Dr.Tanami was inaugurated as Director of Clinical Laboratory Center/Professor of Department of Laboratory Medicine
Feb,1978 Dr.Joshita was inaugurated as Vice-Director of Clinical Laboratory Center/Assistant Professor of Department of Laboratory Medicine
Apr,1978 ・Dr.Ushijima was inaugurated as lecturer of Department of Laboratory Medicine
・First student entered the postgraduate school of Laboratory Medicine
May,1989 Dr.Kobayashi was inaugurated as Director of Clinical Laboratory Center/Professor of Department of Laboratory Medicine
Jun,1990 The chair of Laboratory Medicine was established
Apr,1997 Dr.Kobayashi was inaugurated as Director of Gunma University Hospital
May,2001 Dr.Murakami was inaugurated as Director of Clinical Laboratory Center/Professor of Department of Laboratory Medicine
Feb,2002 Measurement of blood rheology by MAC-FAN was started
Jun,2002 Examination and consultation for outpatients began
Aug,2011 Dr.Kimura was inaugurated as Associate Professor of Department of Laboratory Medicine
Aug,2011 Dr.Sumino was inaugurated as Associate Professor of Clinical Laboratory Center