Clinical Laboratory Medicine
Laboratory Medicine play an important role in current Evidence Based clinical Medicine. The research in the Department of Laboratory Medicine by medical doctors and medical technologists is focused on the study of clinical markers for various disorders, including endocrinological and metabolic disorders, cardiovascular diseases, immunological disorders, infectious diseases, and malignancy.
|Professor||MURAKAMI Masami, M.D.,Ph.D.|
|Associate Professor||KIMURA Takao, M.D.,Ph.D.|
|Associate Professor||TSUNEKAWA Katsuhiko, M.D.,Ph.D.|
|Assistant Professor||KOISO Hiromi, M.D.,Ph.D.|
|KATO Toshimitsu, M.D.,Ph.D.|
|YOSHIDA Akihiro, M.D.,Ph.D.|
|AOKI Tomoyuki, M.D.,Ph.D.|
Research & Education
1) Clinical significance of antipituitary antibodies
2) Study on the mechanism of thyroid hormone activation
3) Study on the clinical marker of atherosclerosis
4) Study on the genetic and molecular analysis
5) The role of active oxygen and free radicals
6) Study on the mechanism of drug resistance of bacteria
7) Clinicocytological research on early detection of lung cancer and education of specialist of clinical cytology
8) Clinicocytological study on borderline malignancy and pseudomalignant tumor
On lectures in the faculty of medicine, we give an outline of the principles of laboratory tests, clarify the role of laboratory medicine in medical treatment and introduce how laboratory tests is performed, and then explain how to make an appropriate choice for laboratory tests, how to interpret the data and important notices for getting exact data, presenting cases. In the course of health science, we give clinical practices in the laboratory of Gunma University Hospital and try to improve students’ testing techniques. In the postgraduate course, lectures are focused on measurement of microsubstance in vivo, biochemical tests, measurement of antibodies, genetic tests and Clinicocytology. In seminars, you read literatures and papers concerning these subjects and we guide you in research procedure. In practices, we explain the principles of experimental methods and we coach you in techniques. We also teach you to analyze and evaluate the data, and then we guide you in writing a paper.
Laboratory tests are used for the detection, diagnosis and follow up of the various disorders. Automated laboratory testing is performed using the automated sample transporting systems. It is necessary to perform quality controls to obtain precise and accurate results. Naturally carrying out internal quality controls, we actively practice external quality control survey in Gunma Prefecture. We participate in the hospital infection control program through the laboratory tests for bacterial and viral infection. Pathological diagnosis of surgical specimen and cytopathological diagnosis are performed.
1. Yoshida A, Kimura T, Tsunekawa K, Araki O, Ishigaki H, Shoho Y, Suda I, Hiramoto S, Murakami M. Glucomannan inhibits rice gruel-induced increases in plasma glucose and insulin levels. Ann Nutr Metab. 2020 in press
2. Ishii T, Kato T, Okaniwa H, NakayamaM , Takama N, Kurabayashi M, Murakami M. A case of coronary artery fistula with multiple coronary artery aneurysms diagnosed by transthoracic echocardiography. Journal of Medical Ultrasonics. 2020 in press
3. Lutz J, Dunaji-Kazmierowska M, Arcan S, Kassner U, Miyashita K, Murakami M, Ploug M, Fong LG, Young SG, Nakajima K, Beigneux AP. Chylomicironemia from GPIHBP1 autoantibodies successfully treated with rituximab: a case report. Ann Intern Med 2020, in press
4. Yan H, Niimi M, Wang C, Chen Y, Zhou H, Matsuhisa F, Nishijima K, Kitajima S, Zhang B, Yokomichi H, Nakajima K, Murakami M, Zhang J, Chen YE, Fan J. Endothelial Lipase Exerts its Anti-Atherogenic Effect through Increased Catabolism of β-VLDLs. J Atheroscler Thromb. 2020 May 23.
5. Koizumi A, Maruyama K, Ohki Y, Nakayama A, Yamada Y, Kurosawa H, Tsukagoshi H, Fujiu T, Takahashi M, Kimura T, Saruki N, Murakami M, Arakawa H. Prevalence and Risk Factor for Antibiotic-resistant Escherichia coli Colonization at Birth in Premature Infants: A Prospective Cohort Study. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2020 Jun;39(6):546-552.
6. Ashraf AP, Miyashita K, Nakajima K, Murakami M, Hegele RA, Ploug M, Fong LG, Young SG, Beigneux AP. Intermittent chylomicronemia caused by intermittent GPIHBP1 autoantibodies. J Clin Lipidol. 2020 Mar-Apr;14(2):197-200.
7. Nakawatari K, Kurano M, Araki O, Nishikawa M, Shimamoto S, Igarashi K, Aoki J, Murakami M, Yatomi Y. Elevated phosphatidylserine-specific phospholipase A1 level in hyperthyroidism. Clin Chim Acta. 2020 Apr;503:99-106.
8. Ishigaki H, Yoshida A, Araki O, Kimura T, Tsunekawa K, Shoho Y, Nara M, Aoki T, Ogiwara T, Murakami M. Prolonged plasma glucose elevation on oral glucose tolerance test in young healthy Japanese individuals. Endocrinol Diabetes Metab. 2019 Oct 28;3(1):e00098.
9. Mihara M, Ogawa Y, Nagasaka M, Kobayashi N, Shimizu H, Shinozawa K, Fukutake K, Inoue M, Murakami M, Handa H. Successful Management of Acquired Factor V Inhibitor by Monitoring Factor V Activity, Antigen, and Inhibitor Values during Immunosuppressive Therapy. Acta Haematol. 2019 Sep 27:1-5.
10. Sunaga H, Koitabashi N, Iso T, Matsui H, Obokata M, Kawakami R, Murakami M, Yokoyama T, Kurabayashi M. Activation of cardiac AMPK-FGF21 feed-forward loop in acute myocardial infarction: Role of adrenergic overdrive and lipolysis byproducts. Sci Rep. 2019 Aug 14;9(1):11841.
11. Matsumoto R, Tsunekawa K, Shoho Y, Yanagawa Y, Kotajima N, Matsumoto S, Araki O, Kimura T, Nakajima K, Murakami M. Association between skeletal muscle mass and serum concentrations of lipoprotein lipase, GPIHBP1, and hepatic triglyceride lipase in young Japanese men. Lipids Health Dis. 2019 Apr 4;18(1):84.
12. Beigneux AP, Allan CM, Sandoval NP, Cho GW, Heizer PJ, Jung RS, Stanhope KL, Havel PJ, Birrane G, Meiyappan M, Gill JE 4th, Murakami M, Miyashita K, Nakajima K, Ploug M, Fong LG, Young SG. Lipoprotein lipase is active as a monomer. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2019 Mar 26;116(13):6319-6328.
13. Fujiwara C, Uehara A, Sekiguchi A, Uchiyama A, Yamazaki S, Ogino S, Yokoyama Y, Torii R, Hosoi M, Suto C, Tsunekawa K, Murakami M, Ishikawa O, Motegi SI. Suppressive regulation by MFG-E8 of latent transforming growth factor -induced fibrosis via binding to v integrin: significance in the pathogenesis of fibrosis in systemic sclerosis. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2019, 72:302-314.
14. Nojiri T, Kurano M, Araki O, Nakawatari K, Nishikawa M, Shimamoto S, Igarashi K, Kano K, Aoki J, Kihara S, Murakami M, Yatomi Y. Serum autotaxin levels are associated with Graves’ disease. Endocr J. 2019 May 28;66(5):409-422.
15. Eguchi J, Miyashita K, Fukamachi I, Nakajima K, Murakami M, Kawahara Y, Yamashita T, Ohta Y, Abe K, Nakatsuka A, Mino M, Takase S, Okazaki H, Hegele RA, Ploug M, Hu X, Wada J, Young SG, Beigneux AP. GPIHBP1 autoantibody syndrome during interferon β1a treatment. J Clin Lipidol. 2019 Jan-Feb;13(1):62-69.
16. Shrestha S, Sunaga H, Hanaoka H, Yamaguchi A, Kuwahara S, Umbarawan Y, Nakajima K, Machida T, Murakami M, Saito A, Tsushima Y, Kurabayashi M, Iso T. Circulating FABP4 is eliminated by the kidney via glomerular filtration followed by megalin-mediated reabsorption. Sci Rep. 2018 Nov 6;8(1):16451.
17. Miyashita K, Fukamachi I, Machida T, Nakajima K, Young SG, Murakami M, Beigneux AP, Nakajima K. An ELISA for quantifying GPIHBP1 autoantibodies and making a diagnosis of the GPIHBP1 autoantibody syndrome. Clin Chim Acta. 2018 Dec;487:174-178.
18. Shoho Y, Kimura T, Yanagawa Y, Saito A, Inoue T, Suto C, Tsunekawa K, Araki O, Nara M, Tokue Y, Murakami M. Vaccination Status and Antibody Titers against Rubella and Measles among Japanese Female College Students Majoring in Childcare between 2015 and 2018. Tohoku J Exp Med. 2018 Oct;246(2):73-79
19. Nakajima K, Machida T, Imamura S, Kawase D, Miyashita K, Fukamachi I, Maeda M, Muraba Y, Koga T, Kobayashi J, Kimura T, Nakajima K, Murakami M. An automated method for measuring lipoprotein lipase and hepatic triglyceride lipase activities in post-heparin plasma. Clin Chim Acta. 2018 Dec;487:54-59.
20. Ogawa Y, Yanagisawa K, Uchiyama Y, Akashi N, Mieda T, Iizuka H, Inoue M, Shizuka R, Murakami M, Matsumoto N, Handa H. Successful hemostatic management of major surgery for cervical spondylotic myelopathy in a patient with severe factor XI deficiency. Int J Hematol. 2018 Oct;108(4):443-446.
21. Park E, Jung J, Araki O, Tsunekawa K, Park SY, Kim J, Murakami M, Jeong SY, Lee S. Concurrent TSHR mutations and DIO2 T92A polymorphism result in abnormal thyroid hormone metabolism. Sci Rep. 2018 Jul 4;8(1):10090.
22. Miyashita K, Fukamachi I, Nagao M, Ishida T, Kobayashi J, Machida T, Nakajima K, Murakami M, Ploug M, Beigneux AP, Young SG, Nakajima K. An enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for measuring GPIHBP1 levels in human plasma or serum.J Clin Lipidol. 2018 Jan – Feb;12(1):203-210.e1.
23. Muraba Y, Koga T, Shimomura Y, Ito Y, Hirao Y, Kobayashi J, Kimura T, Nakajima K, Murakami M. The role of plasma lipoprotein lipase, hepatic lipase and GPIHBP1 in the metabolism of remnant lipoproteins and small dense LDL in patients with coronary artery disease. Clin Chim Acta. 2018 Jan;476:146-153.
24. Manaka A, Tokue Y, Murakami M. Comparison of 16S ribosomal RNA gene sequence analysis and conventional culture in the environmental survey of a hospital. J Pharm Health Care Sci 19;3:8 2017
25. Nakajima K, Tokita Y, Sakamaki K, Shimomura Y, Kobayashi J, Kamachi K, Tanaka A, Stanhope KL, Havel PJ, Wang T, Machida T, Murakami M. Triglyceride content in remnant lipoproteins is significantly increased after food intake and is associated with plasma lipoprotein lipase. Clinica Chimica Acta 465: 45-52 2017
26. Ishiyama N, Sakamaki K, Shimomura Y, Kotani K, Tsuzaki K, Sakane N, Miyashita K, Fukamachi I, Kobayashi J, Stanhope KL, Havel PJ, Kamachi K, Tanaka A, Tokita Y, Machida T, Murakami M, Nakajima K. Lipoprotein lipase does not increase significantly in the postprandial plasma. Clinica Chimica Acta 464: 204-210 2017
27. Hu X, Sleeman MW, Miyashita K, Linton MF, Allan CM, He C, Larsson M, Tu Y, Sandoval NP, Jung RS, Mapar A, Machida T, Murakami M, Nakajima K, Ploug M, Fong LG, Young SG, Beigneux AP. Monoclonal antibodies that bind to the Ly6 domain of GPIHBP1 abolish the binding of LPL. The Journal of Lipid Research 58(1): 208-215 2017
28. Hu, Xuchen; Dallinga-Thie, Geesje M.; Hovingh, G. Kees; Chang, Sandy Y.; Sandoval, Norma P.; Dang, Tiffany Ly P.; Fukamachi, Isamu; Miyashita, Kazuya; Nakajima, Katsuyuki; Murakami, Masami; Fong, Loren G.; Ploug, Michael; Young, Stephen G.; Beigneux, Anne P. GPIHBP1 autoantibodies in a patient with unexplained chylomicronemia. J Clin Lipidol. 2017 Jul – Aug;11(4):964-971.
29. Miyashita K, Nakajima K, Fukamachi I, Muraba Y, Koga T, Shimomura Y, Machida T, Murakami M, Kobayashi J. A new enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay system for human serum hepatic triglyceride lipase. J Lipid Res. 2017 Aug;58(8):1591-1597.
30. Beigneux AP, Miyashita K, Ploug M, Blom DJ, Ai M, Linton MF, Khovidhunkit W, Dufour R, Garg A, McMahon MA, Pullinger CR, Sandoval NP, Hu X, Allan CM, Larsson M, Machida T, Murakami M, Reue K, Tontonoz P, Goldberg IJ, Moulin P, Charrière S, Fong LG, Nakajima K, Young SG. Autoantibodies against GPIHBP1 as a Cause of Hypertriglyceridemia. N Engl J Med. 2017 Apr 27;376(17):1647-1658.
31. Iso T, Sunaga H, Matsui H, Kasama S, Oshima N, Haruyama H, Furukawa N, Nakajima K, Machida T, Murakami M, Yokoyama T, Kurabayashi M. Serum levels of fatty acid binding protein 4 and fat metabolic markers in relation to catecholamines following exercise. Clin Biochem. 2017 Nov;50(16-17):896-902.
Jul,1973 Dr.Tanami was inaugurated as Director of Clinical Laboratory Center/Professor of Department of Laboratory Medicine
Feb,1978 Dr.Joshita was inaugurated as Vice-Director of Clinical Laboratory Center/Assistant Professor of Department of Laboratory Medicine
Apr,1978 ・Dr.Ushijima was inaugurated as lecturer of Department of Laboratory Medicine
・First student entered the postgraduate school of Laboratory Medicine
May,1989 Dr.Kobayashi was inaugurated as Director of Clinical Laboratory Center/Professor of Department of Laboratory Medicine
Jun,1990 The chair of Laboratory Medicine was established
Apr,1997 Dr.Kobayashi was inaugurated as Director of Gunma University Hospital
May,2001 Dr.Murakami was inaugurated as Director of Clinical Laboratory Center/Professor of Department of Laboratory Medicine
Feb,2002 Measurement of blood rheology by MAC-FAN was started
Jun,2002 Examination and consultation for outpatients began
Aug,2011 Dr.Kimura was inaugurated as Associate Professor of Department of Laboratory Medicine
Aug,2011 Dr.Sumino was inaugurated as Associate Professor of Clinical Laboratory Center