Basic Medical Sciences
We, including graduate and foreign students, are engaged in a broad range of research works from the ecological viewpoint. Our missions are to promote the health and welfare of the people and to prevent diseases through the effort of creating the healthy social environment.
|Professor||Koyama Hiroshi, M.D., Ph.D.|
|Assosiate Professor||Uchida Mitsuo, M.D., Ph.D.|
|Assistant Professor||Yamazaki Chiho, Ph.D.|
|Sekar Ayu Paramita , Ph.D.|
Research & Education
1. Nutritional epidemiology of essential trace elements
Essential trace elements such as zinc, copper, and selenium have been demonstrated to play important roles in the regulation and homeostasis of various biological functions including the central nerve system, immunological system, and anti-oxidative protection. The essential trace elements relate to several phenomena such as aging, neural disorders, diabetes and other diseases.
We examine the health influence of the essential trace elements deficiency and try to investigate the effect of additional supplementation of these elements.
2. Analytical chemistry of selenoproteins
We have developed an analytical method that determines several selenoproteins simultaneously using ICP-MS combined with a chromatographic separation. For example, selenium (Se) often works as a catalytic center of seleno-enzymes. In Se-deficient mouse, the activity of glutathione peroxidase, a seleno-enzyme acting as a radical scavenger, lowered in parallel with the disappearance of Se from this enzyme fraction. We have been trying to clarify the relationships between the metabolism of essential elements and human health.
3. Interaction between selenium and cadmium
4. Cohort study
We conduct a large-scale epidemiological research to clarify risk factors of cancer, stroke, cardiovascular diseases, and aging-related disability.
5. Epidemiological study of childhood allergy over Gunma prefecture.
6. Komo-Ise Study (A cohort study of middle aged and elderly residents. An analysis of the risk of psychosocial factors on mortality and morbidity.)
7. Mathematical models of infectious diseases focusing human behavior
8. Anthropological population demography
9. Health and Medical Information Management System
10. Screening and causal inference of depression for suicide prevention (Collaborative study with Gunma prefecture).
11. Development of selenium fortified sprouts.
12. Direct determina
tion of ceruloplasmin/plasma copper using HPLC-ICP-MS for diagnosis of Wilson disease.
1. Public Health:
a scientific lecture on the general public health.
2. Exercise of Data Processing for Medicine:
leaning of medical statistics and practice of the analysis using statistics software.
3. Practical Training Course of Community Health Care:
individual practice (setting the assignment -> practice -> presentation)
4. Community Health Care and Medicine:
confirmation of the fundamental and current knowledge.
Dr. Koyama works as industrial physicians
1. Yamazaki C, Goto A, Iwasaki M, Sawada N, Oba S, Noda M, Iso H, Koyama H, Tsugane S. Body mass index and mortality among middle-aged Japanese individuals with diagnosed diabetes: The Japan Public Health Center-based prospective study (JPHC study). Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2020 Jun;164:108198.
2. Akiko Sekiguchi, Yuta Inoue, Sahori Yamazaki, Akihiko Uchiyama, Osamu Ishikawa, Shiko Kuribayashi, Toshio Uraoka, Kenichiro Hara, Kouichi Yamaguchi, Toshitaka Maeno, Mitsuo Uchida, Hiroshi Koyama, Sei-Ichiro Motegi. Prevalence and clinical characteristics of earlobe crease in systemic sclerosis: Possible association with vascular dysfunction. J Dermatol. 2020.
3. Uchida M, Takeuchi S, Saito M, Koyama H. Effects of influenza vaccination on seasonal influenza symptoms: a prospective observational study in elementary schoolchildren in Japan. Heliyon. 2020;6(2):e03385.
4. Todokoro D, Kamei S, Goto H, Ikeda Y, Koyama H, Akiyama H. Acute retinal necrosis following herpes simplex encephalitis: a nationwide survey in Japan. Jpn J Ophthalmol. 2019 May 3. [Epub ahead of print]
5. 内田満夫，野下浩司，小山 洋. VDT作業者の安全衛生評価におけるDeep Learningの活用. 産業衛生学雑誌 (in press)
6. Erdenee O, Narula IS, Yamazaki C, Kameo S, Koyama H. Mongolian Health Sector Strategic Master Plan (2006-2015): A foundation for achieving universal health coverage. Int J Health Plann Manage. 2019 Jan;34(1):e314-e326.
7. Uchida M. Longitudinal epidemiological studies to clarify the difference in effectiveness of countermeasures against influenza in different age groups. Impact. 2019 April 1;2019(4):82-84.
8. 内田満夫，野下浩司，渡辺由佳子，小山洋. 社会医学におけるAI研究. BIOClinica 2019 Mar;34(3):89-93.
9. 内田満夫，野下浩司，筒井保博，小山洋. 産業保健におけるDeep Learningの活用：物流企業の職場巡視画像を用いたパイロット研究. 産業衛生学雑誌. 2018 Dec 5;60(6):191-195.
10. Uchida M. Individual background factors associated with vaccination for seasonal influenza in Japanese schoolchildren. J Infect Chemother. 2018 Jan; 24(1):36-39.
11. Uchida M, Morita H. Association between long work hours and depressivestate: a pilot study of propensity score matched Japanese white-collar workers. Ind Health. 2018 Jun 1;56(3):207-211.
12. Uchida M, Kaneko M, Hidaka Y, Yamamoto H, Honda T, Takeuchi S, Saito M, Kawa S. High vaccination coverage is associated with low epidemic level of seasonal influenza in elementary schools: an observational study in Matsumoto City, Japan. BMC Infect Dis. 2018 Mar 13;18(1):128.
13. Saputri FA, Kang D, Kusuma ASW, Rusdiana T, Hasanah AN, Mutakin, Surono IS, Koyama H, Abdulah R. Lactobacillus plantarum IS-10506 probiotic administration increases amlodipine absorption in a rabbit model. J Int Med Res. 2018 Aug 9:300060518788994.
14. Iijima H, Suzuki S, Koyama H, Nakazawa M, Wakimoto Y. Agricultural workers in a cohort of middle-aged Japanese women showed better health status than did women with other occupations. J Rural Med. 2018 May;13(1):57-63.
15. Paramita SA, Yamazaki C, Setiawati EP, Koyama H. Distribution trends of Indonesia’s health care resources in the decentralization era. Int J Health Plann Manage. 2018 Apr;33(2):e586-e596.
16. Febiyanto N, Yamazaki C, Kameo S, Sari DK, Puspitasari IM, Sunjaya DK, Herawati DMD, Nugraha GI, Fukuda T, Koyama H. Effects of Selenium Supplementation on the Diabetic Condition Depend on the Baseline Selenium Status in KKAy Mice. Biol Trace Elem Res. 2018 Jan;181(1):71-81.
17. Anneke Rosma, Chiho Yamazaki, Satomi Kameo, Dewi M. Herawati, Rovina Ruslami, Ardini Raksanagara, Hiroshi Koyama. Factors Influencing Private Practitioners to Report Tuberculosis Cases Pharmacology and Clinical Pharmacy Research Vol 1, No 1: 1-10, 2018
18. Erdene K, Nakajima T, Kameo S, Khairinisa MA, Lamid-Ochir O, Tumenjargal A, Koibuchi N, Koyama H, Tsushima Y. Organ retention of gadolinium in mother and pup mice: effect of pregnancy and type of gadolinium-based contrast agents. Jpn J Radiol. 2017 Oct;35(10):568-573. D
19. Erdenee O, Paramita SA, Yamazaki C, Koyama H. Distribution of health care resources in Mongolia using the Gini coefficient. Hum Resour Health. 2017 Aug 29;15(1):56.
20. Abdulah R, Suradji EW, Subarnas A, Supratman U, Sugijanto M, Diantini A, Lestari K, Barliana MI, Kawazu S, Koyama H. Catechin Isolated from Garcinia celebica Leaves Inhibit Plasmodium falciparum Growth through the Induction of Oxidative Stress. Pharmacogn Mag. 2017 Jul;13(Suppl 2):S301-S305.
21. Puspitasari IM, Yamazaki C, Abdulah R, Putri M, Kameo S, Nakano T, Koyama H. Protective effects of sodium selenite supplementation against irradiation-induced damage in non-cancerous human esophageal cells. Oncol Lett. 2017 Jan;13(1):449-454.
22. Oyanagi T, Takizawa T, Aizawa A, Solongo O, Yagi H, Nishida Y, Koyama H, Saitoh A, Arakawa H. Suppression of MUC5AC expression in human bronchial epithelial cells by interferon-γ. Allergol Int. 2017 Jan;66(1):75-82.
23. Kartamihardja AA, Nakajima T, Kameo S, Koyama H, Tsushima Y. Impact of Impaired Renal Function on Gadolinium Retention After Administration of Gadolinium-Based Contrast Agents in a Mouse Model. Invest Radiol. 2016 Oct;51(10):655-60.
24. Kartamihardja AA, Nakajima T, Kameo S, Koyama H, Tsushima Y. Distribution and clearance of retained gadolinium in the brain: differences between linear and macrocyclic gadolinium based contrast agents in a mouse model. Br J Radiol. 2016 Oct;89(1066):20160509.
25. Ariyani W, Iwasaki T, Miyazaki W, Khongorzul E, Nakajima T, Kameo S, Koyama H, Tsushima Y, Koibuchi N. Effects of Gadolinium-Based Contrast Agents on Thyroid Hormone Receptor Action and Thyroid Hormone-Induced Cerebellar Purkinje Cell Morphogenesis. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne). 2016 Aug 26;7:115.
26. Mutakin, Rivai IF, Setiawan A, Abdulah R, Kobayashi K, Yamazaki C, Kameo S, Nakazawa M, Koyama H. A STUDY OF THE ASSOCIATION BETWEEN SELENIUM AND CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASE IN LAMPUNG, INDONESIA. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health. 2016 Mar;47(2):299-308.
27. Subarnas A, Diantini A, Abdulah R, Zuhrotun A, Nugraha PA, Hadisaputri YE, Puspitasari IM, Yamazaki C, Kuwano H, Koyama H. Apoptosis-mediated antiproliferative activity of friedolanostane triterpenoid isolated from the leaves of Garcinia celebica against MCF-7 human breast cancer cell lines. Biomed Rep. 2016 Jan;4(1):79-82. Epub 2015 Oct 15.
28. Nazri C, Yamazaki C, Kameo S, Herawati DMD, Sekarwana N, Raksanagara A, Koyama H. Factors influencing mother’s participation in Posyandu for improving nutritional status of children under-five in Aceh Utara district, Aceh province, Indonesia. BMC Public Health. 2016 Jan 22;16:69.
29. セレン欠乏症の診療指針2016. 児玉浩子, 浅桐公男, 位田 忍, 恵谷ゆり, 小山 洋, 曺 英樹, 田中芳明, 高柳正樹, 船越政史, 吉田宗弘. 一般社団法人 日本臨床栄養学会
30. Subarnas A, Diantini A, Abdulah R, Zuhrotun A, Hadisaputri YE, Puspitasari IM,
Yamazaki C, Kuwano H, Koyama H.
Apoptosis induced in MCF-7 human breast cancer cells by 2′,4′-dihydroxy-6-methoxy-3,5-dimethylchalcone isolated from Eugenia aquea Burm f. leaves.
Oncol Lett., 9(5):2303-2306, 2015.
31. Halimah E, Diantini A, Destiani DP, Pradipta IS, Sastramihardja HS, Lestari K,
Subarnas A, Abdulah R, Koyama H.
Induction of caspase cascade pathway by kaempferol-3-O-rhamnoside in LNCaP prostate cancer cell lines.
Biomed Rep., 3(1):115-117, 2015.
32. Putri M, Syamsunarno MR, Iso T, Yamaguchi A, Hanaoka H, Sunaga H, Koitabashi N, Matsui H, Yamazaki C, Kameo S, Tsushima Y, Yokoyama T, Koyama H, Abumrad NA, Kurabayashi M.
CD36 is indispensable for thermogenesis under conditions of fasting and cold stress.
Biochem Biophys Res Commun., 20;457(4):520-5, 2015.
33. Kameo S, Nakai K, Naganuma A, Koyama H, Satoh H.
Simple Analysis Method for Metallothionein-1, -2 and -3 in the Brain by One-Step Size-Exclusion Column HPLC On-Line Coupling with Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometry.
J Anal Bioanal Tech., 5:224, 2014.
34. Surono IS, Martono PD, Kameo S, Suradji EW, Koyama H.
Effect of probiotic L. plantarum IS-10506 and zinc supplementation on humoral immune response and zinc status of Indonesian pre-school children.
J Trace Elem Med Biol., 28(4):465-9, 2014.
35. Ishikura K, Misu H, Kumazaki M, Takayama H, Matsuzawa-Nagata N, Tajima N, Chikamoto K, Lan F, Ando H, Ota T, Sakurai M, Takeshita Y, Kato K, Fujimura A, Miyamoto K, Saito Y, Kameo S, Okamoto Y, Takuwa Y, Takahashi K, Kidoya H, Takakura N, Kaneko S, Takamura T.
Selenoprotein P as a diabetes-associated hepatokine that impairs angiogenesis by inducing VEGF resistance in vascular endothelial cells.
Diabetologia. 57(9):1968-76, 2014.
36. Puspitasari IM, Abdulah R, Yamazaki C, Kameo S, Nakano T, Koyama H.
Updates on clinical studies of selenium supplementation in radiotherapy.
Radiat Oncol., 29;9:125, 2014.
37. Putri M, Yamazaki C, Syamsunarno MR, Puspitasari IM, Abdulah R, Kameo S, Iso T, Kurabayashi M, Koyama H.
Effects of sodium selenite supplementation on preβ-high-density lipoprotein formation-related proteins in human primary hepatocytes.
International Journal of Food and Nutritional Sciences (IJFANS) Vol. 3 (6):16-22, 2014.
38. 小山 洋，MUTAKIN，Rizky ABDULAH，山崎 千穂，亀尾 聡美.
日本衛生学雑誌(Jpn. J. Hyg.)，68，1-10, 2013.
39. Mutakin, Meiliana A, Wijaya A, Kobayashi K, Yamazaki C, Kameo S, Nakazawa M, Koyama H.
Association between selenium nutritional status and metabolic risk factors in men with visceral obesity.
J Trace Elem Med Biol., 27(2):112-6, 2013.
40. 村山 侑里, 山本 林子, 山口 実穂, 山崎 千穂, 中澤 港, 小山 洋.
The Kitakanto Medical Journal, 62:41-51, 2012.
41. Defi IR, Yamazaki C, Kameo S, Kobayashi K, Nakazawa M, Shinya Y, Sato N, Wada N, Shirakura K, Koyama H.
Acute phase response of selenium status and glutathione peroxidase activity in blood plasma before and after total knee arthroplasty surgery.
Biol Trace Elem Res., 144(1-3):388-95, 2011.
42. Suradji EW, Hatabu T, Kobayashi K, Yamazaki C, Abdulah R, Nakazawa M,
Nakajima-Shimada J, Koyama H.
Selenium-induced apoptosis-like cell death in Plasmodium falciparum.
Parasitology, 138(14):1852-62, 2011.
43. Abdulah R, Kobayashi K, Yamazaki C, Koyama H.
Molecular targets of selenium in prostate cancer prevention (Review).
Int J Oncol., 39(2):301-9, 2011.
44. Tanaka H, Sasazawa Y, Suzuki S, Nakazawa M, Koyama H.
Health status and lifestyle factors as predictors of depression in middle-aged and elderly Japanese adults: a seven-year follow-up of the Komo-Ise cohort study.
BMC Psychiatry, 11:20, 2011.
45. Yamazaki CK, Shirao T, Sasagawa Y, Maruyama Y, Akita H, Saji M, Sekino Y.
Lesions of the Supramammillary Nucleus Decrease Self-Grooming Behavior of Rats Placed in an Open Field.
The Kitakanto Medical Journal, 61(3): 287-292, 2011.
46. Abdulah R, Faried A, Kobayashi K, Yamazaki C, Suradji E W, Ito K, Suzuki K, Murakami M, Kuwano H and Koyama H.
Selenium enrichment of broccoli sprout extract increases chemosensitivity and apoptosis of LNCaP prostate cancer cells.
BMC Cancer, 9:414:1-12, 2009.
47. Koyama H, Abdulah R, Ohkubo T, Imai Y, Satoh H and Nagai K.
Depressed serum selenoprotein P: possible new predicator of increased risk for cerebrovascular events.
Nutrition Research, 29:94-99, 2009.
48. 小山 洋, リズキーアブドウラ, 山崎 千穂: セレン補充による化学がん予防と老化.
日本微量元素学会誌, 20(1):19-29, 2009.
49. Tanaka Y, Nagata K, Tanaka T, Kuwano K, Endo H, Otani T, Nakazawa M, Koyama H.
Can an individualized and comprehensive care strategy improve urinary incontinence (UI) among nursing home residents
1948 Dr. Yanagisawa founded the Department of Public Health in 1948. In the period of 7 year stay of Dr. Yanagisawa in Gunma University, the Department of Public Health was responsible for many public health officers and researchers.
1954 Dr. Tsuji came to the Department in 1954 from the National Institute of Public Health. Professor Tsuji led many public health officers and researchers, and also many public health minded physicians.
Dr. Tsuji translated and published the Japanese version of “Epidemiology in country practice” written by Dr. Pickles in 1939.
1981 Dr. Tsuji removed to the Nippon Dental University in 1981 and Dr. Suzuki came to the Department from Tokyo University.
1997 Dr. Sasazawa came to the Department as a research associate.
2002 Dr. Suzuki removed to Gunma Occupational Health Promoting Center and Dr. Koyama, the current professor, came to the Department.
2003 Dr. Kawada removed to Nippon Medical School and Dr. Miyazaki came to the Department as a research associate.
2004 Dr. Nakazawa, the current associate professor, came to the Department
2005 Dr. Sasazawa removed to the Takasaki University of Health And Welfare, Ms. Katsuya came to the Department as a research associate, Mr. Kobayashi came to the Department as a research associate.
2006 Mr. Kobayashi obtained Dr. degree and quit, became a technical
assistant of research. Dr. Otani came to the Department as a
2008 Ms. Katsuya and Dr. Otani quit, Dr. Yamazaki came to the
Department as an Assistant Professor.